- Total number of Internet users in India has gone down from 49 million in 2008 to 47 million in 2009.
- Of the 47 million users, 39 million stay in urban areas and 8 million reside in rural places.
- While 29% of the 47 million live in metros, 24% stay in tier II cities and 47% live in tier III cities and villages.
- About 5 million also surf the Internet on mobile phones.
- About 80% of the users are in the age group of 19-35 years.
- The most popular activity online among regular Internet users is searching for travel products.
- The second most popular activity is job search.
- Among the most used websites are Google and Yahoo – 35% and 25% respectively.
- Rediff and Indiatimes stand much lower and are used by 4% and 1% respectively.
- YouTube is used by only 0.5% of regular Internet users. Orkut is used by 7% of 38.5 million internet users.
- Yahoo is the preferred site for email (45% users), instant messaging, online news, net telephony and mobile content.
- Gmail is also among the most used sites for email (44% users).
- Google is the most used website for information search in English, search in local languages and cinema tickets.
- Orkut is the most used website for friendship and dating, sharing pictures, social networking, and professional networking.
- Of the regular users, 24 per cent also prefer to use LinkedIn for professional networking.
- Among the classified websites, Naukri is used by 44% of regular Internet surfers for job search.
- Makaan is the most used site for real estate search.
- Bharatmatrimony is the most used portal for matrimony search.
- YouTube is most used website for video sharing.
- Raaga is the most used website for listening or streaming music.
- IRCTC is the most used website for online travel purchases.
- Ebay.in is the most preferred site for non-travel purchases.
- ICICI Bank’s website is the most used site for Net banking.
- ICICI Direct is used by 28% users for online share trading.
- Moneycontrol.com is the most preferred site for financial news and information.
April 10, 2009
71% of Internet users live in Non-metros
Internet research firm, JuxtConsult, has released the findings of its annual study, India Online 2009, which tracks the usage and preferences of Internet users in India.
at 1:02 PM